Instead of painful allergy shots and weekly office visits, you can now get long-term allergy relief simply by putting a few drops under your tongue three times a day. This safe and effective treatment is called sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT), and is available at ENT Solutions’ Pain-free Allergy Clinic in Blairsville, Georgia at the office of Dr. Wendy L. Smith.
Let's face it, nobody likes shots! Studies have shown that patients on allergy drops are much more likely to stick with the treatment than shots. Once we’ve determined what triggers your allergy symptoms, we customize a solution that helps desensitize you to those allergens. No painful shots are involved. You simply put a few drops under your tongue each day
In our rural mountain area, it is simply not practical for patients to visit each week for a traditional allergy shot. With allergy drops you only visit our office just twice a year. You will come to the office to pick up your first bottle in order to receive a brief training with your first drop. We mail future treatment bottles to your home address.
Our patients see a significant symptom relief within their first 3 to 6 months of treatment. Over the course of the first year, you should be able to reduce and eliminate the need for antihistamines, steroid sprays or other allergy medications you are using for symptom relief. Our goal is to make you symptom free for the rest of your life, which takes 3 to 5 years of treatment.
If you’re tired of dealing with itchy eyes, sneezing, runny nose, headaches or other allergy symptoms, but you don’t want to go through years of painful allergy shots, call Dr. Wendy L. Smith’s Allergy Clinic at (706) 745-1305 for an appointment.
What are allergy drops?
Allergy drops works similar to allergy shots by delivering a slowly increasing dose of physician-prescribed antigen that helps you build a tolerance to the things you are allergic to. The difference is that the drops are placed under the tongue.
A drop under the tongue three times a day is all it takes.
The area under the tongue contains dendritic cells which are specially designed to absorb allergens without a reaction. This allows us to treat patients for a much wider range of allergens with less risk of side effects than shots.
How Does the Allergy Program Work?
We do some detective work to establish what you are allergic to and just how allergic you are to each allergen. How do we do this? We have developed a very safe and painless way to do our discovery work. First, we ask you questions about your symptoms such as when you experience symptoms (day, night, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, etc.) and how these symptoms affect you (sneezing, itching, etc.) Second, we give you a stamp test on the inside of each arm. This test takes 30-seconds and is completely painless. And finally, we do a simple blood test and send the sample to a laboratory for sophisticated analysis.
- Based on your results from skin testing and blood work, we will find out what you are allergic to and how allergic you are to each allergen.
- With this information we create for you a customized allergy solution that will help decrease your allergy symptoms.
- We show you how to self-administer your allergy drops -- Just one drop under the tongue, three times each day.
- Each dispenser will last for three months. Most patients find their allergy symptoms have greatly improved in their first 3-months of treatment.
- Every 3 months when it is time for a refill on your allergy bottle, we evaluate your progress and gradually increase the strength of allergens in your bottle.
- At the end of 3 to 5 years, your immunotherapy will be complete. No more symptoms. No more medicine. No more allergies.
Please see our Frequently Asked Questions for more information on allergy drops.